Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Different Perspectives, Same Idea

After reading “Men Growing Up to be boys” and “The Death of Pretty”, I feel the two authors would get along quite well. If these authors were to sit down for a dinner, I think they would connect on a more complex level. While Pat Archbold discusses matters about women and Lakshmi Chaudhry discusses matters about men, they essentially share a common concern about today’s generation. Both authors compare today’s society with previous time periods so I think they would find they have several similar viewpoints on the immorality of the most recent generation. Archbold explains how the image of women is being deteriorated. He believes women today focus their images on more materialistic means rather than the “beautiful and innocent” appearance. Chaudhry believes men are putting off the responsibilities of being an adult while enjoying its benefits. She blames media exposure for this issue because, “Consumerism wants to make us as atomized as possible–because the more individualized we are the better consumers we are.” These two authors are arguing the same matter, just from different perspectives. I believe if Archbold and Chaudhry were put in this setting, they would have a remarkable conversation and possibly even gain insight from one another’s beliefs on today’s society.

Chaudhry, Lakshmi. “Men Growing Up to be Boys.” In These Times. N.p., 17 Mar. 2006. Web. 21 Jan.
        2015.

2 comments:

  1. If I were at the dinner described above I think I would feel comfortable because many of their ideas make perfect sense and I agree with them. I don't think I would start an argument with these two authors because I believe that what they are saying is true. I would ask both of these authors how and when they came to the realization that men and women are both straying away from the "old-fashion" way of life. I would also ask them if they thought the world would ever go back to the way it was when men took responsibility for their job and their family and women showed innocence instead of wanting attention and ultimately being an object.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dinner described is one that would be enjoyable. Even though the two authors have different ideas, they have a connection.I believe this dinner would be very productive and maybe give each other salmons different perspective on the topic. I would ask each of them how they came about with their ideas and evidence to back it up. Even though they're different ideas, the authors would contrast nicely.

    ReplyDelete