Thursday, January 22, 2015

Spoiled Spaghetti


Imagine Pat Archbold and Lakshmi Chaudry forced to eat at an Olive Garden against their will. I'm sure they would be in there for a while, I‘d be livid to if I had to eat Italian for dinner. I imagine both Archbold and Chaudry venting out each other’s frustrations with each other. I think it would awkward at first, but one shared view on a crappy dinner could open a door to sharing similar ideas. At one point I think Archbold would and Chaudry would start venting about sexism, I say that because both of their articles share similarities. First off, both of them LOVE juxtapositions. Just look at the titles they choose for their writing. Men Growing Up to be Boys, The Death of Pretty, Don't forget that a man is writing an article about women while a woman is writing an article about men. Chaudry and Archbold also share a sort of interest in fairy tales. I know it sounds crazy, but think about it. Archbold recounts the burden women carry like he is reading a storybook. "Once upon a time, women wanted to project an innocence." (Archbold) Meanwhile Chaudry draws on these fantasies as well. Her article is all about how the media plays on a man's inner fantasies to promote their own products. The front page of her article has a photo of John Wayne as a cowboy along with a footnote accusing the media of creating a Peter Pan version of masculinity. Whether these draws to fantasies is just coincidence, it's clear that both authors are attempting to show something they believe is a problem in society.

No comments:

Post a Comment