Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Disagreement over Dinner

Lakshmi Chaudry and Pat Archbold both arrived to dinner promptly, Chaudry presenting a very dainty demeanor and Pat presenting one of great chivalry, each obviously learned from a familiarity with fine dining situations. Conversations began normally with polite exchanges about weather, current news, and their ever so impressive feats in their realms of journalism. That is until Archbold remarked how much he was enjoying Chaudry’s company on account of the fact that it is so rare  to find pretty women these days. To this Chaudry finally rebutted scornfully with her lingering thought of how naturally it was only a matter of time before he revealed the true nature of men in today’s society; Pat was yet another cliché example of the typical childish, irresponsible man consumed by the narcissistic thoughts of his superiority to women based solely on a mass media portrayal of men being praised for the inner virtues so many of them lacked including duty, honor, and loyalty. Furthermore every ounce of chivalry he portrayed was merely an act of boyish charm only furthering her point of men’s boyish nature. Archbold scoffed as he condescendingly reminded Chaudry of her abject failure to hide under a cloak of innocence as so many pretty women used to and that he too was sorely mistaken in thinking that pretty had made a resurgence. Both seemed offended and disappointed but in a polite attempt to agree to disagree, both excused themselves from the dinner table, thinking, poor lost and confused soul.

4 comments:

  1. If I were a third wheel to this tense dinner, I would be on Archbold's side of the argument. I would tell Chaudry that a guy like Pat Archbold would never intend on objectifying her, especially after writing the article he did. It just would not make sense that a guy who obviously is very grounded and mature as we can tell from "The Death of Pretty", to be boyish and immature. I think that Lakshmi got a little defensive for no reason, and i would definitely be telling her that straight up. I do not think that a childish and irresponsible man would view women as classy, pretty, and innocents. After the two excused themselves from the table, I would happily eat all the food they left on their plates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a guest to this dinner, I would have to agree with Chaudry’s argument. Why would Archbold have to bring up how it is “so rare to find pretty women these days.” Suddenly all trace of an adult man has left Archbold and been replaced by elementary student type behavior suggesting that all men are pigs. All Archbold is doing is proving Chaudry’s point that most men are just boys trapped in a man’s body. All in all, this dinner would end on an awkward silence causing all of us to make a break for any exit possible in the most polite way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I was for some strange reason invited to this dinner with these two authors, I would be very uncomfortable to say the least. Although I might not feel that welcomed, I would have to agree with Chaudhry’s argument over Archbold, even though I doubt these two would bother to hear my opinion. I can’t say I would be too thrilled to sit with these two and listen to them talk about everything that is wrong with our generation. I would probably give it twenty minutes, then I would quietly and politely excuse myself to the mens room. While in the mens room I would find the nearest window and make my escape. Once out I would continue to pick up a Whataburger, and hit the town to try and find a “hot” girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While being the third guess at this loving dinner, the two authors wouldn't fully draw my attention until they begin to disagree. Being quite the debater I am myself, I think I would thoroughly enjoy voicing my opinion in this argument. I would have to side with Archbold, as he was only complimenting Chaudhry on her rare prettiness and sense of innocence. I would bring up the fact that a man with such mature character wouldn't write an article explaining how he misses the pure innocence of women back in his time and have replaced it with the desire to be hot and wanted all the time. After such a heated argument we would all find a common ground and finish our wonderful meal. While leaving the table I would dare Archbold to call Chaudhry pretty again just to see what would happen.

    ReplyDelete